Rooster Behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Salt and Light, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    I 've raised probably over 100 meat birds so, I'm pretty familiar with young rooster. But from my last batch of Freedom Rangers, I let two roosters grow till mature. Now, they are acting like roosters but I'm a little concerned. While mounting, they really tear up the hens combs and tear the hen's sides. Is this normal? These roosters are HUGE....

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    I have had three roos, two were huge!
    when there were a year old, they mounted the hens ALL the time, and would tear them up. two poor hens were so badly sliced on there sides, that we thought they needed stiches !![​IMG]
    they healed, but we kept the roos sperate from then on.

now a two years old, the roosters are back with the hens. they dont mount as much. our hens where hen savers to protect them.
    the roosters are a lot more gentle, now that there older.

I dont know if all roos are like this, but mine were. [​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The larger and more vigorous the rooster, the greater the potential for damage to the hens. If you have two large roosters gang breeding hens there is greater potential for damage. You might try removing one of the roosters, and the other might modify his "technique."

4. Salt and Light

Salt and Light Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Osteen, FL
    can they actually kill a hen?

5. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    Quote:If she gets open wounds and they get infected, then yes, you could lose a hen to the injury.

I've never known a rooster to actually TRY to kill a hen, but infection is indiscriminate.

I don't let my hens get cut up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by