Rooster Behavior

Salt and Light

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Osteen, FL
I 've raised probably over 100 meat birds so, I'm pretty familiar with young rooster. But from my last batch of Freedom Rangers, I let two roosters grow till mature. Now, they are acting like roosters but I'm a little concerned. While mounting, they really tear up the hens combs and tear the hen's sides. Is this normal? These roosters are HUGE....

I have had three roos, two were huge!
when there were a year old, they mounted the hens ALL the time, and would tear them up. two poor hens were so badly sliced on there sides, that we thought they needed stiches !!
th.gif

they healed, but we kept the roos sperate from then on.

now a two years old, the roosters are back with the hens. they dont mount as much. our hens where hen savers to protect them.
the roosters are a lot more gentle, now that there older.

I dont know if all roos are like this, but mine were.
smile.png

The larger and more vigorous the rooster, the greater the potential for damage to the hens. If you have two large roosters gang breeding hens there is greater potential for damage. You might try removing one of the roosters, and the other might modify his "technique."

Quote:
If she gets open wounds and they get infected, then yes, you could lose a hen to the injury.

I've never known a rooster to actually TRY to kill a hen, but infection is indiscriminate.

I don't let my hens get cut up.

Back
Top Bottom