1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Miss Chicken, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2008
    Excuse my VERY basic question. I'm new to chickens and recently got 3 babies. They are only 1 week old so I know you can't tell the gender. I've been reading a lot of posts and everyone seems freaked out about getting roosters. Can someone tell me the cons of having a rooster? I know they crow which can be disturbing to neighbors but what else should I be worried about? In the 3 I have if they are all males can they still live together?

2. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Welcome to BYC Miss Chicken, where you will find good, experienced and honest answers to your querries.[​IMG]

To your first question, in your situation, even ONE rooster to 2 hens will spell disaster, at least for your hens. The common ratio is 1 roo for every 8 to 12 hens.

The second answer you seek, IMHO, is no. It would be extremely difficult, not to say it couldn't be done with separate housing etc. But most importantly, chickens are very sociable and really need to be able to have a "society". Three Roos doesn't spell a society , as there would be constant bickering and fighting. Someone WILL get hurt eventually. Hens on the other hand, can live quite happily without a roo being present...ever.[​IMG]

I hope this helps you, and doesn't bumm you out. These are my honest opinions through experience. I'm sure there will be lots of others!
    I also suggest doing some research and possibly picking up a good chicken book. I still use my basic Storeys Book as reference material all the time. Invaluable!

Ma

3. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    the roos will start trying to crow at 5 or 6wks.an if your going to just have 2 or 3 hens you dont need a roo.because he will terraize the hens.to have a roo you need atlest 8 or 10 hens.

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:The only con that pops to mind is 1 cockrel with 2 pullets could lead to the pullets being over-bred. BUT, since the cockrel has no competition, I think that possibility is remote.

Quote:Nothing really. Roosters are awesome, if you get a good one. A good rooster will lead the hens around and dance for them when he finds food or bugs for them to eat. He'll break up fights between any hens. He'll protect them to some extent from predators.

The real issues begin when you have multiple cockrels fighting over a group of hens. They will both be very competitive about breeding the girls and fight a lot.

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, it's dependant on the roos. If they are alone together, and layback, it might be okay. I have 2 with my girls. They are brothers, and leave eachother completely alone. One is at the bottom of the pecking order. In the other coop, I have two, silkie roos, and they didn't get along with anyone, but seem to get along with eachother. They ignore eachother, but sleep side by side. Go figure. You might want to try.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by