Rooster behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RMBGKY, Aug 22, 2011.

1. RMBGKY

RMBGKY Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2010
    Bowling Green, KY
    I have three Black Australorp roosters all 16 weeks old. One of the roosters (Oliver) has been crowing for over 6 weeks and is definitely the alpha male in the flock. The other two roosters (Coon-dog and Mutt) have never crowed and of course avoid direct contact with Oliver. Is it normal for the subservient roosters to not crow?

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    Yes my lil bantam roo was the bottom roo at his old home where there were 12 other big breed roos! Needless to say he was badly beaten up by them and never crowd, when he got here he did not crow for s few mouths but I guess he finally realized that he was the only roo on my place and now he is the head roo and he crow lovely every morning

3. Roy Rooster

Roy Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2010
    Tennesee Smoky Mts.
    I am glad that you asked that question. I have two roos in my flock.
    The alpha roo crows every morning and evening. I have yet to hear
    the beta roo crow. I am beginning to wonder if he ever will.

4. mommissan

mommissan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Adirondacks
    Good question!

I have 5 roos in my little flock of 15. Since my neighborhood does not allow noise, I butcher them as soon as they crow (3 so far). Only one ever crows, and the others stay quiet. Does only the alpha roo crow? Will the others crow also, or are they waiting for me to butcher the alpha and then the next one takes over?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by