Rooster behavior

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mphinney, Aug 29, 2014.

1. mphinney

mphinney New Egg

Apr 14, 2014
    When I go into the coop and walk near my rooster he walks towards me sideways (in a sort of prance). Is he challenging me or is he being submissive.

2. Aronia

Aronia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2014
    St. Catharines, ON
    Welcome to BYC!

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

It is a challenge, not a sign of submission. Does he accompany it with dragging his wing slightly on the ground?

4. mphinney

mphinney New Egg

Apr 14, 2014
    Yes he does drop his wing to the ground

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    How old is he? He is planning to attack! If he's young and just trying it out, you might be able to readjust his attitude. If children are involved, don't even try. The cockrels who started to behave badly, like he is, continued to get worse in spite of behavior modification attempts, and were wonderful eating! Mary

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    This is aggressive behavior. If it's just started, you should be able to put an end to it. Every time you're in the coop, walk toward him briskly and make him move away from you. Just do this randomly whenever you're around them. Any time he starts toward you sideways, walk firmly toward him, fast enough he has to startle out of your way. I'm not talking about running at him, just fast walking. Don't chase him once he gives way, but don't let him come back up to you either.

It's the rule of the animal world the submissive animal gets out of the way of the dominant. Be the dominant.

1 person likes this.
  7. mphinney

mphinney New Egg

Apr 14, 2014
    I do have young children that like going to the coop to get the eggs. He usually doesn't bother them, but a few days ago my wife went out there, who does not go out there often, and he attacked her. While I found it rather comical, I don't want him to turn on the children.

8. mphinney

mphinney New Egg

Apr 14, 2014
    He is young, around 6 or 7 months old.

9. RoosterLew

RoosterLew Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Coffeyville, Ks
    Do not tolerate it.
    While it is comical, it is not funny! It's aggression and if he is that aggressive now it more than likely will get worse.
    The mentioned fixes above should work, and I would add an occaisional boot! Don't drop kick him over the fence, lol, but a good firm trap that scoots him out of your way will let him know your bigger, stronger and not skeered!
    Your wife needs to do the same!
    Another thing I have found useful is grabbing them up by the feet and holding them upside down. Seems to really get your point across!!

10. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by