Rooster behavioral change during breeding season?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TrystInn, Aug 19, 2011.

1. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    We have a beautiful Splash Cochin rooster who is a gentle giant and he's very tolerant of our dogs, barncat, contractors, etc. He's a great protector, taking care of the chicks and ducklings on our tiny hobby farm and gently supervising them. Last year, we only hatched 4 of his chicks but he was still very young (didn't even have tail feathers). I want to mention that this guy is often carted around and used in Chicken 101 workshops because he's so easily handled (if you can handle his weight, that is) and he's always been great for folks to pet and learn to hold, etc. He even will crow on cue - I crow, he crows.

He's roughly 18 months old, so still fairly young. The broody mammas and chicks are in three separate brooding hutches where he can visit and check in to make sure his ladies and chicks are being taken care of. Which he does several times a day, spending entire hours walking back and forth between the hutches (they are within a few feet of each other).

This year, our summer has been very mild and that has apparently stimulated the ladies as we're having a broody explosion. Two of his favorite hens are brooding eggs (with two chicks in the last 24 hours hatched), his other favorite is raising chicks and really wanting to get back with her rooster. I want to give those chicks another few weeks in the grow out pen, however. I think the breeding explosion may have made him very protective as he's been attacking men! He's perfectly fine with me, which may be due to my gender (female) or that he's just very accustomed to me as I let him and his ladies out, feed and pet them, put them away at night, etc. He's had no personality or behavior change to me at all - he's still happy to be petted, sung to, given treats, etc. Then men, however, are carrying around brooms!

Is there any hope that this is just natural territorial protectionist behavior and he'll calm down once the chicks have matured and the ladies have stopped brooding?? Am I completely deluded in hoping for that? Any suggestions of things I could be doing (or the men)?

2. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    I found this Post extremely interesting since my rooster has been doing the exact same thing! My roo isn't quite as calm as yours, but he's always been very shy. He is younger too. But, his favorite hen is broody and sitting on eggs. He checks on her frequently throughout the day. He has begun attacking my husband, but he tries to herd me! Away from the door and into the pen. My husband is getting fed up with his behavior and I'd hate for him to end up on the dinner table. I hope someone else can help both of us with this issue!!
    Thanks for posting this TrystInn!!

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    My silkie roosters did the same thing! They were both crazy protective of the hens throughout their broodyness and attacked everyone except me which is totally out of character.
    I'm not sure if mine are classed as "normal" though, from what I hear there can be problems with agressive roosters though mine returned back to normal after then hens had hatched the chicks. Make of it what you will. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by