Rooster behaviors.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenChaser9, Aug 23, 2016.

1. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    My Jersey Giant, Colonel Cluck has started getting his spurs and has lately been demonstrating some behavior that I am not sure is I think normal if peculiar. He will put himself between and man and his girls and try to give them a kick if they approach. He does not however seem to take this combative posture with the women that come around. Can he tell the difference between males/female humans? He has not chased anyone but more seems to be asserting his role as protector of the Hens. Am I way off base here? Any opinions or insights are welcome.

2. Chicken5555

Chicken5555 Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if roosters can tell men from women, but he could be sensing the masculinity of the man. Roosters are territorial and they will challenge any perceived threat.

3. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    I think just like dogs, they can see men (generally speaking) moving in a more decisive manner, men also have often facial hair, a deeper voice, so I would assume they can tell from these certain attributes and may perceive them as more threatening. If they had more positive experiences with women in the family or weren't socialized with men much, they may be more suspicious of men.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by