Rooster behaviors...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by peteyfoozer, Aug 10, 2011.

1. peteyfoozer

peteyfoozer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    I have 3 5-month old roosters, 2 are Australorpe, 1 a buff. The buff and one Australorpe are not especially big or pretty, but one Australorpe is huge, with big breast and legs, very pretty bird. I was going to kill the other 2, but this morning the big guy walked right up at crowed at me. Is he going to be overtly aggressive? Should I just eat him instead? I have been attacked by roosters in the past and didn't much care for it. I want one roo around so my hens will set. I was going to choose him because I'd like to have chicks with the same physical qualities more or less, but I am not sure how to handle him. They free range most of the time but don't leave the back yard much. Any guidance would be much appreciated!!

2. madgabmomma

madgabmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    SE Texas
    You are in my very same situation right now, almost. I have a very large ba and he's very pretty as well, but he's showing signs of agression with me. He runs after when if my back is turned, but he's never attacked me and as long as I stay facing or looking at him he stays away. He also is very vocal and growls sort of and crowes a lot when I am arround. The other 2 rooster I have are not very pretty at all but seem very doscile, but they are young yet only about 5months old. I was going to get rid of the younger ones and keep the big pretty guy but now I'm not so sure what too do. Sorry I'm no help, but I'll be checking back too see if anyone else is.

3. peteyfoozer

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    He hasn't run after me yet, but I was throwing scratch out and he walked PAST it and stood at my feet , stretched up and crowed LOUDLY! He is a BIG boy and I was waiting for the dogs to come defend me! LOL

4. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    From what you're describing, he doesn't sound like he's been aggressive toward you. Roosters crow whenever they get the urge and I don't take it as a sign of aggression. Now if he runs toward you, especially when you turn your back, yeah, that's not a good sign. Often the dominant rooster does most of the crowing when there is more than one and he may be the dominant one. The one thing you don't want to do is make a pet out of a rooster. Treat them like livestock. I think that once they lose their fear/respect for you, that's when they start to challenge you and the trouble begins. My rooster keeps his distance and I don't handle him much except when necessary and then it's just business. I don't pet him or try to befriend him. He never challenges me, but if he ever does it's over for him. My hens are a different story. They are tame and friendly and run up to see me as soon as they hear the back door open. If I were you, I'd wait and see how he turns out. If he starts chasing you, then get rid of him. The other thing to remember is that he is going to have certain rooster instincts about protecting his hens. Sometimes, when I have to catch a hen and she's squaking, he'll get a little upset and anxious and you can see he would like to jump in to protect her... but he doesn't! He knows better!

Lisa

5. peteyfoozer

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    thanks Lisa! I haven't made pets out of ANY of them. It just worried me he was going to attack me when he did this, but he has never even approached me before. When I was a kid, a rooster crowed and I crowed back...BIG MISTAKE! I have no idea what I said in chickenese, but it sure fired his rocket!

I'll keep him then, and just watch. I appreciate the input!

6. rungirl

rungirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Columbus, Ohio
    Oh, and the other thing your rooster will do if he's a good boy, is call his hens over if he finds some food. Sometimes even when I toss something out on the ground for them, he'll act like HE found it and stand around scratching it and calling them over. Maybe your rooster was just letting everyone know where the goodies were!

Lisa

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

And keep in mind that having a rooster doesn't mean your hens will set. Whether a hen goes broody or not doesn't have anything to do with having a rooster or not. Of course if someone does go broody, it would help to have fertilized eggs to set on...lol.

8. peteyfoozer

Jul 5, 2011
    SE Oregon
    tru dat! I only have 2 that are likely to. I got one BO and one Austalorpe hen and hope one of them at least goes broody! The other 9 hens I have no idea what they are, so not sure if they are breeds that get broody or not. Keeping fingers crossed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by