Rooster behaviour?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by EggQueen, Mar 11, 2014.

1. EggQueen

EggQueen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2013
    Cambridgeshire
    I have 5 adult hens and six 3-4 month olds, two of which I suspect are roos. I just watched the two suspect roos, Splotch and Chocolate, have a stand off, then one chased the other and took its tail in its beak. Is this confirmation of rooster status? I've only had hens before, and have never seen this behaviour in them.

2. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Post up some pictures of the two and I and others should be able to tell their sex.
    This behavior is usually typical of young roosters, but not ALWAYS a definite sign.

3. EggQueen

Aug 18, 2013
    Cambridgeshire
    Thanks! Will try and get some pics later today. One is a silkie bantam, which I believe is very hard to sex. The other is an araucana, and it's posture and tail look cockerel-like to my untrained eye, but I am very inexperienced.

4. EggQueen

Aug 18, 2013
    Cambridgeshire
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is Splotch, the silkie bantam. I think the feathers on the head may be indicative?

5. cluckcluckluke

I am really bad at Silkies, but to me it looks to be a pullet at this time.

6. EggQueen

Aug 18, 2013
    Cambridgeshire
    [​IMG]

This is the pair of them. Not a great pic of the araucana - will try and do better later.

7. EggQueen

Aug 18, 2013
    Cambridgeshire
    Would a rooster behave like that to a pullet? The araucana was the one who ended up pulling at the silkie's tail.

8. cluckcluckluke

Not the best picture but that Ameraucana does look like a rooster.
    Also, are you sure he is an Ameraucana? He sort of looks like a Russian Orloff.

9. EggQueen

Aug 18, 2013
    Cambridgeshire
    Araucana, not ameraucana. That is what I was told at purchase, and s/he does seem to have the right face shape, cheek tufts. But again, I am no expert, and when I googled trying to find out what type of araucana s/he is I couldn't find anything similar, so you could be right!

10. EggQueen

Aug 18, 2013
    Cambridgeshire
    ...and having just googled Russian orloff I would say you are definitely right!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by