Rooster being a butt head in the morning.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jonezjollyfarm, Oct 13, 2015.

1. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    I introduced my rooster to my flock just over a month ago. Things have been going good. The girls just love when he finds them treats. One in particular has deemed herself his top lady and is almost always by his side (awww). But anyway I normally am at work by the time they come out of the coop but am on vacation this week and noticed he is almost aggressive when he comes out of the coop. Comes running out wing dancing and growling for lack of a better word. Chasing the girls around. Why does he do that?

2. Fentress

Fentress Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2012
    Chesapeake, Va.
    It's first thing in the morning. He's doing what all cocks do.

3. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    x2 normal

4. Zackman23434

Zackman23434 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2015
    My RIR cockerel does the same thing every morning. When one of the other cockerels come out into the run he immediately focuses his attention on them and chases until he gets him a good feather pull. Then it's over and done with. Only in the mornings is he like this.

5. jonezjollyfarm

jonezjollyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2015
    Illinois
    Oh good. I thought we were going to have rooster pot pie lol gosh chickens have some strange behavior. Last night 10 minutes before they went in the coop they decided the cat that lives in our barn was a predator(he's lived there since early summer) and all started squawking and bocking. I'm thinking to myself way to call in the real predator. Bunch of geniuses!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by