rooster being a rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wmroth, Mar 16, 2013.

1. wmroth

wmroth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2009
    I have 15 hens and 1 eight month old rooster. The rooster continually mounts the hens and some of the hens are starting to show bare backs (no feathers). I like my rooster and want him to fertilize the eggs for chick production. I know that the mounting is part of the fertilization process. Is it feasible to separate the rooster most of the day to give the hens a rest? As he matures will he become less aggressive?

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    You could separate him for most of the day. I'm sure he won't like it,but at least your hens will grow some feathers back. Roosters do get less aggressive typically as they get older.

3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Also, you can trim & file his toenails. You can sew or buy chicken saddles for the hens, too, if you want.

4. wmroth

wmroth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2009
    Thank you. I am looking into hen saddles. Does anyone know were to get a pattern to make them? Also, I like the idea of trimming the nails. This is new to me. I do not want to hurt my rooster. I can to dog nails with a nail clipper, but how do I do a rooster's nails? Also, how do I trim his spurs? Thanks for your help

5. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    There is a page on Rooster Spurs on the site in my sig that should be helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by