Rooster being aggressive towards hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Abby32922, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Abby32922

Abby32922 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2016
    I have this rooster and he is acting aggressive towards 2 of my hens. He'll peck at them and then it'll be a full blown fight. He pecks at the other rooster, too. Is there anything I can do? I don't want to kill him and I can't give him away. Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    How old is he, and how many hens and roosters do you have ?

3. Abby32922

Nov 7, 2016

He is 8 week so old and I have 2 roosters ( including him ) and 4 hens. I'm going to separate the chickens into groups of 3 as soon as wee done rabbit sitting our friends bunny.

4. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    As long as the hens are not bleeding and being constantly run down. If you notice your hens are running away from him scared without being provoked you may want to temporarily separate them for the sake of the hens. He may just be going through a "phase" which most roosters do, and it usually goes away when they mature. My Gold Laced Wyandotte was pretty aggressive at that age but he was just trying to prove who is boss. Keeping him alive is the best option, not much use for a dead 8 week old roo who probably weighs less than a half a pound after being processed.

5. Vermont Poultry

Vermont Poultry Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2016
    Northern Vermont
    And also, 2 roosters and only 4 hens may cause problems later down the line. Once the roosters are mature they will fight for the hens (which is normal). But since you have so few hens the hens may be worn down from constant mating, and there is not enough hens to go around even for just 1 rooster. If I were you I would most likely either let them work it out until they are old enough to butcher and only kill 1. Or I would get more hens. But follow your gut feeling. I recommend getting more opinions from multiple people.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Are all your birds only 8 weeks old? If so, I'm thinking it's more likely a space issue, not so much a gender issue. How much room do they have?

With those numbers of birds, you're going to have to make some management decisions. It's great to wish and hope everyone will get along, but that's not really going to be the case. Do you plan to keep two separate flocks for the next 5 years? Even one male and two females can be pretty hard on the ladies. I would seriously look at getting rid of this male. It's going to be a long term headache managing the two roosters.

1 person likes this.
  7. Abby32922

Nov 7, 2016

I'm going to separate the roosters into 2 different pens as soon as the pen is free from bunny duty. And I really don't think that the chickens will be breeding 2 much, I got a breed that isn't 2 interested in constant breeding.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What breed is that? I'm not aware of any 5-10 month old cockerels that don't want to pretty much nail anything they can.

9. Abby32922

Nov 7, 2016

I have Sebrights, my friend said that they don't breed or go broody 2 often so they would be good for showing.

10. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Sorry but your friend likely doesn't know what she is talking about,most chickens mate all the time,escpecially young roosters,they may not brood,but that doesn't mean they won't breed....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by