Rooster being bullied

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by beckadlphn, Aug 26, 2016.

1. beckadlphn

beckadlphn New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Ten Mile, TN
    I have 3 hens, a buff orpington and a brama. They are 1 1/2 years old. I decided to get a rooster, a 4 month old silver laced wyandotte. My hens are pecking him, not to the point of bleeding. They just chase him around the pen. He isn't crowing or trying to establish dominance. This has went on for 5 days. Do I just need to seperate them? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Pleased you joined us. Yes, I think the age difference explains why they are picking on him. But at 4 months it won't be long until he ascends to the top of the pecking order as the rooster. I've had the same thing happen to young roosters but usually it only happened when he was getting too big for his britches and an older hen put him in his place - they didn't actually pester him, just retaliated when he pestered them. If it was me, as long as he can escape I'd just let things work themselves out naturally. If the run is small and he can't, I would separate for 3-4 more weeks - he should be able to hold his own by then.

3. beckadlphn

beckadlphn New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Ten Mile, TN
    Thank you so much for that. Yes, our coop is rather small. We plan on building a bigger one at a later date. I will try your suggestion. He is so beautiful I don't want anything to happen to him.[​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    He is indeed handsome! Good luck to you!

5. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    Yep, hes at the bottom of the ladder for now. Just let them work it out or seperate for another month or so.

6. the chick guy

the chick guy Just Hatched

Aug 11, 2016
    Was he there for the start or did u just put him in a flock if he was there from the start they probably just figuring out the pecking order they will sort it out in a week or it is just the rooster being a jerk as always

And if u just but hi there put him in there at night when everyone is sleeping the won't really care who it is because there so tired and they think he is part of the flock I think that's how it goes

7. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Keeping them apart will only prolong the outcome your looking for...As long as they are not trying to kill him? As you stated they chase him...He will be fine. Leave them to work it out...He will figure things out as long as no interference is taking place.

8. beckadlphn

beckadlphn New Egg

Mar 29, 2015
    Ten Mile, TN
    Thank you all so much for the replies. I am going to try and let nature take its course for a few more days. We will see what happens.

9. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Awesome idea...

10. PingoBags

PingoBags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I introduced a young roo to my young hens and the same thing happened. They chased him around for about a week. He started chasing them for a few days after that first week and now everyone gets along. I never did anything to stop it. He follows them all around like a lost puppy now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by