Rooster being continually rejected by stuck up hen :/

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by andrea615, Feb 11, 2016.

1. andrea615

andrea615 New Egg

Aug 2, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    My rooster is very... Active. 9/10 hens are unattractivly bald, and some are even getting a little scraggly in the back feather department. I am planning on collecting the fertized eggs this week for incubation. I have one problem though: I have only one sad little australorp left (thanks pine marten [​IMG]) and would really like to hatch a bunch of eggs from her specifically... Except she seems to be morally opposed to accepting the (dominate) roosters advances. What can I do to encourage her to live it up a bit and allow the rooster to do his job?? I do have a separation wall in the coop, and could lock them in one side, just the two of them? Do you think that would give him a better chance of mating with this persnickety hen? Suggestions???

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Personally i'd let nature takes its course. Given time, she will accept him.

CT

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Candles, wine, and romantic music? Used to work for me.

2 people like this.
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Chickens or women? [​IMG]
    CT

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I'd incubate a few of her eggs anyway and see what happens. He may be getting lucky when you don't see it. Barring that, you could separate them together as you mentioned for a few days. Once he mates her a few times she'll lay fertile eggs for at least a week, so you don't have to keep them from the rest of the flock very long.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by