Rooster being hen-pecked

ChickenCrazy00

In the Brooder
Nov 23, 2016
Wade, my NHR, has lost his tailfeathers. I figured out that it's the hens who have been doing it! I've tried vasaline, but they still peck his feathers, and it dries out his skin. The hens get to free range and have the 4-5 sq ft requirements for living space. Their feed has not been changed, and they get treats pretty often. None of them have been wormed or are on any meds. They also leave the younger rooster, Beau, completely alone. I really don't want to make it come to issolating Wade, so I was wondering if any of you had advice! He has some short tailfeathers I've managed to save, but I want him to have some nice green tailfeathers!

Last edited:
Wade, my NHR, has lost his tailfeathers. I figured out that it's the hens who have been doing it! I've tried vasaline, but they still peck his feathers, and it dries out his skin. The hens get to free range and have the 4-5 sq ft requirements for living space. Their feed has not been changed, and they get treats pretty often. None of them have been wormed or are on any meds. They also leave the younger rooster, Beau, completely alone. I really don't want to make it come to issolating Wade, so I was wondering if any of you had advice! He has some short tailfeathers I've managed to save, but I want him to have some nice green tailfeathers!

Has anything changed with Wade's situation? I have a NHR cross flock rooster and a second rooster that's 3/4 NHR - very nice birds. So is Wade second in command in your flock? I had a problem with naughty ducks pulling out my flock rooster's sickle feathers, but that's since stopped.

How long has Wade been a part of the flock?

Back
Top Bottom