1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster being mean to his girls

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theawesomechick, Oct 9, 2013.

1. theawesomechick

theawesomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a 12 week old Buff Orpington rooster who is all stuck up and mean to his ladies. He always snatches the treats away from the hens, and I have seen him chase around the hens until he can get a feather out when they do so much as fly down from a perch. Sometimes, he chases them for no apparent reason, but he doesn't do this often around me. There has always been feathers strewn all over the floor of the run, but the other day I noticed that there were brown, black, and white feathers, but no yellow feathers. This has caused me to think that those feathers didn't fall out naturally, but were picked out. What should I do? Keep him there, or send him to freezer camp?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm afraid it would be freezer camp here. At 12 weeks, his hormones ar ejust cranking up, so he will be a terror for a while. Of course he could behave acceptably when he finally matures -- but that is so completely bad that I wouldn't wait it out, myself. That kind of behavior is most likely something they pass on in their genes, so I would never want to hatch eggs he had fertilized, anyway.

3. theawesomechick

theawesomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

I think I might wait for a few weeks... if this carries on into adulthood, he's done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by