Rooster being picked on or weird molting or both?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hilaryeve, Dec 30, 2013.

1. hilaryeve

hilaryeve Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2013
    Near Boston, MA
    HEllo all. I have a rooster who is now missing a swath of feathers under his beak. His skin does not look irritated or red at all. It looks as if a few of his pencil hackle feathers have been nipped off in one specific spot, but not pulled out. His tail is molting, without a doubt and his legs are looking sweet and covered with the super soft, downy feathers, so I think they are also molting. The neck area is not making sense to me though. I do live in the Boston burbs and it is winter, my first winter with chickens, so I am not really sure what to expect. We have a lovely coop big enough for our 11 ladies (and one roo.) THey have plenty of entertainment; there is a large three-way branch growing through the aviary area of the coop, we hang lettuce and seed blocks for chicken exercise. There does not seem to be too much drama in there. Mostly a lot of cuteness going on. So, I will post a few pix in a second so you can see the weird patches I am talking about. Thanks for any advice you can pass my way.

2. hilaryeve

Sep 25, 2013
    Near Boston, MA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. hilaryeve

Sep 25, 2013
    Near Boston, MA
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    Have you checked him for mites and lice?

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    or is it possible that he stuck his head through the wire fencing?

6. hilaryeve

Sep 25, 2013
    Near Boston, MA
    Oh no!! I think I might me doing it to him. I bought a seed/mealworm block for them to peck at a hung it in a wire basket for them to bounce at. I am now thinking he could have been over zealous and potentially getting temporarily stuck?!

They don't have mites or bugs. I treat them with diatomaceous earth fairly regularly just in case. I also have their dust bath container filled with it.

Poor Tandoori Chicken! I really think I could be doing this to him. I would say it is tantamount to getting stuck in a fence (but maybe worse!). Thanks do much for your suggestions and have a very happy New year!

7. hilaryeve

Sep 25, 2013
    Near Boston, MA
    Ok, so he has not had the little food hanger for a day or two and he looks really, really bad. A greAt deal of his hackles are gone around his neck. His legs are only downy feathers, and his tail is very sad looking. The ladies all look fine. I was actually shocked to see how bad he was this morning. The bad news? The weather is well below zero and he must be cold. I placed a heat lamp in the lower run area under the coop, which is warming the coop just enough to be not dangerous. Should I buy Avia 2000? My feed store was closed today did yo the snow storm, so I could not check if they had it. I can certainly order it though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by