1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

rooster being picked on

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rwdeets23, Mar 17, 2013.

1. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    i introduced my rooster to my hens this morning and i was afraid of him being mean to my smaller hens but the hens are just all ganging up on him is this normal for the hens not to accept the rooster? ive only ever raised hens this is my first rooster ever...[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I would sggest removing him so that he does not become overly 'hen pecked'. Is he an adult rooster or a cockerel? Allow him to overcome his trauma, and then introduce the hens to him one at a time over a period of time - starting with the least dominant hens. Yep, a rooster is part of the pecking order just like all the rest The dominant hens can be very reluctant to give up their positions.

3. rwdeets23

Mar 11, 2012
    ok ill give that a try ..he is full grown about 9 month old silver laced wyandotte.. i just went out to check on him again.. he is hanging out with my 2 buff bantams lol i guess there not to much for him, he towers over them ... or would it be a good idea to let them free range together or will he just go off on his own and not accomplish anything?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they aren't beating the 'heck' out of him and drawing blood, let them work things out. I misinterpreted your original post to mean that there was an outright, blood drawing attack upon him. If it is just scuffling instead of a concerted attack, he will gradually prevail. At 9 months old although sexually mature, he is still a teen ager among older women. [​IMG]

5. rwdeets23

Mar 11, 2012
    yea it seems that the older leghorns seem to be the worse...ill let them work it out.. its funny every time they go at it the ducks go quite and hide in the corner..and they never shut up unless they got food in there mouth

6. rwdeets23

Mar 11, 2012
    well after being in the coop with the hens i let them all out and it seems he has a favorite my SS they are just following each other around ... and when the SS goes where he cant see her he starts crowing..[​IMG] just watchin them out my bedroom window

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by