Rooster being rough

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CKMom, Sep 21, 2009.

1. CKMom

CKMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    cooped up
    My chickens are 19weeks old, and today while they were in the run I noticed the rooster grab one of the EE's by the back of the neck. She screeched and ran away. Is this typical rooster behavior, or is he being mean to my girls? I've been so intent on watching for signs of egg laying, I haven't given much thought to the fact that my little rooster is growing up as well...

2. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    That is completly normal. I wrote the same post when my rooster did that. Now the girls have gotton used to it and he is more gentle. I was freaked too, the first time I saw it and considered getting rid of him, but now they are fine. [​IMG]

3. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    He is probably trying to mate them. Pretty normal. They may not be ready yet.

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    It's normal chicken behavior. He'll grab whatever part he can get ahold of and the pullet will struggle and scream blue bloody murder.
    Once the pullets get close to their laying age, they'll stop fighting him so bad and it will all be over in (literally) five seconds.
    Even with mature roos and hens chicken mating is not pretty, but it bothers us alot more than it does the hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by