1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster being too rough on my hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Landens Grammy, Sep 29, 2015.

1. Landens Grammy

Landens Grammy New Egg

Sep 29, 2015
    My Rooster (Chinese Silkie) apprx 6 mos old is making my hens (leghorns) combs bleed when mounting them...I feel bad for them is there anything I can do? I have 5 hens. He has just started mating the past week...will he settle down???

2. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Congrats on your first post!

Your roo is, in a sense, a randy teenager right now who doesn't have a lot of manners or finesse. He basically has one thing on his mind and is acting on every impulse. In addition, a better roo to hen ratio would be 1 roo for every 10 hens. If you are trying to breed Leghorn X silkie crosses, then you need more hens. If you are not going to breed them and raise chicks, then I would suggest getting rid of your rooster, or at least removing him from the hens until he settles down.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by