Rooster Bite and then Hives

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by eljeanes, Feb 2, 2015.

1. eljeanes

eljeanes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    Anyone know if a rooster bite can cause accompanying hives. My daughter got nailed yesterday in the face. It's swollen, hives on the face and rest of body. She didn't eat anything that would cause this. Obviously, he's had his day and his day is over. Looking to see if someone local wants him for their stew pot or he goes to waste. I'm worried about her and we are in the middle of a blizzard. I gave her benadryl to see if that helps.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Is it possible she may be allergic to bird dander? If not, perhaps the hives are caused by the stress of the whole ordeal. I hope she feels better soon!

3. eljeanes

eljeanes Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2008
    She's not allergic to birds. I've heard you can get rat bite fever from a rooster or chicken bite, that they can carry the same strepto bacillius mailiformis, which is in fact, deadly if left untreated. She's also, 13 years old and a farmer at heart, does almost as much as I do with our pigs, peafowl and chickens. Stupid thing is that we have pet rats, rabbit,dogs, cats and more. So, she's not stressed out by it like a little kid might be.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I don't know then. I've never had a reaction to a chicken bite. If I were you, I'd get her in to see a doctor ASAP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by