Rooster bleeding from spur and it won't stop.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by 70monte, Nov 10, 2011.

1. 70monte

70monte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Aurora, MO
    I came home from work today and saw that my RIR's feet looked bloody. I found some blood over by one of the dog pens so I'm guessing that somehow the rooster got too close and the dog got him. I finally caught him when he went to roost and discovered that he is bleeding from the end of one of his spurs. I can't seem to get the bleeding to stop. My fiance taped a bandage on the end of the spur but when I went out to check on him, the bandage was wet with blood and some had dripped to the roost below.

Is there anyway to stop the bleeding at this location? I don't want him to bleed to death. Any ideas would be apprecitated.

Wayne

2. Ksane

Ksane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 21, 2011
    Oklahoma
    If you don't have any of that yellow powder (you use to stop dog toe nails from bleeding if you cut them too close) then you can use corn starch. At this point if you don't have corn starch just try any kind of flour that you've got. People always claim they can bleed to death from it but honestly I've never known it to happen. Just heard lots of people say they "heard it somewhere".

3. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    you can use deodorant or bar soap, flour, corn starch, alum any of those will help stop the blood

4. 70monte

70monte Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2009
    Aurora, MO
    Thanks everyone. It finally stopped but I don't know if it will stay that way. If it doesn't, I will use one of the things suggested.

Wayne

5. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    A soaked tea bag works on humans, why not chickens.
    Must be regular tea....Lipton, Luziann

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by