Rooster bleeding from spur

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickypoo, Apr 3, 2009.

1. chickypoo

chickypoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG] Okay, so our RIR roo, Morgan, needed his spurs trimmed, so dad used the baked potato method and it worked like a dream. However, later today dad was walking across the yard with Morgan's nemesis, the green bucket [​IMG]! So of course, Morgan came and attacked it and in the process damaged one spur bud (if that's what you call it) and it is bleeding at a pretty steady rate. We are applying direct pressure but does anyone know how to deal with an injury like this? I have heard you can put superglue on cuts, can we do that? Other than wrapping it I don't know how to keep it protected but being a chicken I doubt the bandage would last long. [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Super glue is a great solution. You can help stop the bleeding by using something like cornstarch or flour - this helps form a clot.

3. Littlecimarron18

Littlecimarron18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    Colorado
    pepper! i know it sounds painful but its not and it works great for stopping bleeding, even on people

4. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Dehydrated potato. Potato buds. Does not cause infection. We keep some in our human first-aid box!

5. waibel zoo

waibel zoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Sandy, UT
    Quik-stop It can be purchased at any pet store. Also corn starch works, just not as well. I can see super glue working as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by