1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster bleeding from wattle

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AlbionWood, Dec 18, 2010.

1. AlbionWood

AlbionWood Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    My Delaware rooster, Rexx, is too nice for his own good. Somehow he got a small wound on the bottom of one of his big pendulous wattles, and now some of his hens pick at it - maybe to get blood. His beautiful white hackles are spattered with pink! And he just lets them do it... just a sucker for pretty faces, I guess.

So, anything I could/should be doing about this? It looked this morning like it was scabbed over and dry, so maybe it will heal on its own; perhaps he finally stopped letting them bite him.

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
  3. Savannah Poultry

Savannah Poultry The Source

Mar 29, 2010
    Lakeview, OR
    blu kote is very good! at the very least seperate him until it heals

4. AlbionWood

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    Quote:OMG... He'd go nuts... probably injure himself worse, trying to get back to HIS flock (he just lets us feed them and take the eggs).

But if it doesn't heal up I'll have to give blu-kote a try. Thanks for the rec, I hadn't heard of it before.

5. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    To me it doesn't sound TO serious. Just to be on the safe side, and to give him

a break from his girlfriends, I'd seperate him. Clean him up to. Chickens will kill wounded chickens.

Even if it's a tiny scrape.

6. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    Quote:OMG... He'd go nuts... probably injure himself worse, trying to get back to HIS flock (he just lets us feed them and take the eggs).

But if it doesn't heal up I'll have to give blu-kote a try. Thanks for the rec, I hadn't heard of it before.

I was typing my post when this was posted so I didn't see it [​IMG] Blu kote

sounds good.

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Oh yeh, i have experienced the Bu-Kote splash! It does eventually wear off, though. [​IMG] It is a really good wound coating, antibiotic, antifungal, anti-cooties. i was even going to put it on my husband's infected toe, but he wouldn't let me.

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:LOL -- and, it's mostly gentian violet, which is an old, old home remedy for people.

9. AlbionWood

May 24, 2010
    Albion, California
    Today the wound is still scabbed over and there is no more pink on his hackle, so I think he finally stopped letting them pick at it.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions. I'll get some Blue Kote for future emergencies.

10. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Quote:LOL -- and, it's mostly gentian violet, which is an old, old home remedy for people.

Really! i just read your comment to my husband and he said "Let's do it!". It will be interesting if after four rounds of antibiotics and various topical creams this Blu-Kote heals his infection.

AlbionWood, glad your rooster is healing up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by