1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Bloated Like A Balloon?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tytytytyler, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Tytytytyler

Tytytytyler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Yesterday my bantam silkie rooster, Wendigo, had a bit of a limp to him. So I checked his foot thoroughly all over and there was no sores or anything so I figured he just landed wrong from a jump, hurt a toe, or something simple. But then when I picked him up I noticed he felt different. I can really describe the difference but it just didn't feel the same as picking him up the day before. He felt bloated, kind of. He's always been heavy because he is a porker and eats all the time, but yesterday when I picked him up he just felt like a balloon. I feel like his weight was still there, it just felt more spread out and round-like. I don't know - I said I can't really explain it, I just knew something was different. And then I noticed that he was squishy where his thighs connect to his body on his underside - both sides, not just the side he was limping on.

And that is when I started getting concerned because I just don't remember him being soft and squishy there. It's not terribly squishy, it's just ...squishy. I didn't know if it was just him getting super fat because he does look wider, or what, but I just didn't remember it being there. So like I said that's when I started getting worried. So then I came here and used the search feature and saw all these horrible diseases and just started scaring myself so I stopped reading went out to the chicken house and saw that he was actually on the roost. This would be the first time he ever got on the roost, since he's a silkie, he usually just huddles up in the corner of the building and is happy. So since he was on the roost for once, I felt reassured and calmed myself down. I felt like that was a sign that he was better.

Today when I let him out he didn't come out and do the rooster dance around me, talking up a storm or anything. He did it a little bit, but it was very...lazy. And usually if I tap his back he tries to bite me playfully and runs in circles. He wasn't doing that today. He was moving in slow motion and even eating in slow motion. And like I said he LOVES to eat. So I just knew he had gotten worse. Then I picked him up and he feels even bigger, and visually is wider. I feel like he might even be getting squishy on his back above his thighs now. So I pet him for a long time and then came in here to make this post.

I asked my dad if he had any ideas because he grew up with them and all he can think of is a bee sting or something since he seems swollen. At first he thought he might be constipated but I've seen him poop and it looked like normal poop. It wasn't runny or anything, just white and green. But he still is eating and drinking, I just feel like he's doing it all in slow motion or something. And I can't say that I've heard him crow today, either.

I really don't want this to turn out to be some awful contagious disease, but it looks like it might be shaping into one.
    I got him March 25th and he was a few days old then so he's like 18.5-19.5 weeks old. He was a Tractor Supply chick.

Edit: And like I said, I don't mean like REALLY squishy, it's just like soft.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. Tytytytyler

Tytytytyler Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2009
    Another update: He's perked up a bit socially and he's eating more enthusiastically than he was earlier. But he STILL feels like a balloon when picked up and looks like one while walking around. Like he is full of air. He seriously just looks like a little blimp walking around right now.

If he were filling with liquid, wouldn't he weigh something from that?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by