Rooster Booster for Chicks?

Nov 5, 2019
We have 9 one-week old Silkie chicks. They often have pasty butt, so we were hoping to add some probiotics to their water. We currently use apple cider vinegar. Is Rooster Booster okay to give them? Should we keep giving them ACV? Thanks.

I'm still new at this so feel free to take my advice as you please. I've got 17, 3 week old Delawares. They've been on shavings since day 3 of arriving. Yes, sometimes they eat, or at least peck at, the shavings but they are all quite healthy and growing nicely.
I'm not sure about the RoosterBooster, ACV seemed to help my chronic pasty butt chicks more than anything. I also started giving them Yogurt on a plate sprinkled with feed for extra probiotics. I had 4 with pasty butt within a few days of arrival and 2 that had it chronic for about a week and a half. Have you seen them drinking? Dehydration can make pasty butt worse. I would dip my 2 chicks with chronic pasty butt's beaks into the water whenever I put them back in after a cleaning. Also, stress can be a factor for pasty butt. Are they cheeping loudly, high and sharp? That usually means something is wrong, could be too hot (which also increases dehydration), too cold, or possibly being handled too much. I struggled with myself over how often to clean the pasty butt because they get stressed when cleaned up but it has to be done. I cleaned twice a day, making sure they get warmed back up quickly after being wet. Folks say use a hair dryer on a low setting after cleaning to dry them off. I don't own a hairdryer so was using a small space heater. Are you cleaning with a cloth or holding under a light stream of water in the sink? I used a wet cloth at first but it took forever and was probably chafing their vents. A light stream of warm (not hot) water in the sink is way more effective and less stressful.
You can also try greasing up their little vent with either vaseline, coconut or olive oil, or a dab of original (not pain relieving) preparation H. Their vents can become swollen and the Prep H helps with that. Also, the oil or vaseline seemed to help things move a little easier. Good luck!

Also, I got so much of my info from this site it is why I decided to join! One of my chicks with chronic pasty butt also got constipated. Ended up having to give it an enema (smh, never in my life would have imagined this), but it worked and is now doing quite well.

We have experience with pasty butt, but I think the yogurt is a great idea. Our other chickens loved it. I will definitely try that, and make sure they're all drinking. Thank you. I agree that this site is a great resource.

I'm still new at this so feel free to take my advice as you please. I've got 17, 3 week old Delawares. They've been on shavings since day 3 of arriving. Yes, sometimes they eat, or at least peck at, the shavings but they are all quite healthy and growing nicely.
I'm not sure about the RoosterBooster, ACV seemed to help my chronic pasty butt chicks more than anything. I also started giving them Yogurt on a plate sprinkled with feed for extra probiotics. I had 4 with pasty butt within a few days of arrival and 2 that had it chronic for about a week and a half. Have you seen them drinking? Dehydration can make pasty butt worse. I would dip my 2 chicks with chronic pasty butt's beaks into the water whenever I put them back in after a cleaning. Also, stress can be a factor for pasty butt. Are they cheeping loudly, high and sharp? That usually means something is wrong, could be too hot (which also increases dehydration), too cold, or possibly being handled too much. I struggled with myself over how often to clean the pasty butt because they get stressed when cleaned up but it has to be done. I cleaned twice a day, making sure they get warmed back up quickly after being wet. Folks say use a hair dryer on a low setting after cleaning to dry them off. I don't own a hairdryer so was using a small space heater. Are you cleaning with a cloth or holding under a light stream of water in the sink? I used a wet cloth at first but it took forever and was probably chafing their vents. A light stream of warm (not hot) water in the sink is way more effective and less stressful.
You can also try greasing up their little vent with either vaseline, coconut or olive oil, or a dab of original (not pain relieving) preparation H. Their vents can become swollen and the Prep H helps with that. Also, the oil or vaseline seemed to help things move a little easier. Good luck!
Hey there, forgive me for this but I tried wetting them and washing off pasty butt. But I find it is a lot less stress on the chick to only dab old cooking oil on their vent area. I put the oil in a small container for that out in the feed room. I use a paper towel for it. It softens and after you check a few times, it will come of and clear their vent. It doesn't have to come completely off only that small little place. Let them back with the others quickly. My experience and I hope this helped. Don't wet them.

Back
Top Bottom