Rooster Booster multi-wormer...why won't my chickens eat it?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ShinShien, Oct 18, 2013.

1. ShinShien

ShinShien Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2013
    Alabama
    Not sure if this should be in the Disease forum or here. I've read how well this stuff works, but how do I convince my chickens to eat it? They get layer pellet, but they easily pick around these green wormer pellets.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm not sure why. Perhaps the wormer doesn't taste good? I would perhaps try moistening some feed with the wormer, and then giving it to them. For some reason, chickens love moistened feed, and will gobble it down quickly. The wormer pellets should stick to the layer pellets, causing them to swallow both pellets at the same time.

3. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I like the idea of putting it in with pellet that is moistened. You might also add some garlic or something tasty. I've also put it in with sticky rice.

Mine seemed slow to eat it at first, but then caught on to it.

It really does do a good job. I notice an distinct improvement in their appearance and egg production after using it.
    Lady of McCamley

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Can someone please explain how this product works? How do antibiotics kill worms?

5. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Hygromycin B, the wormer in Rooster Booster, interfers with thr worms metabolism (of protein if I remember correctly).

It causes the worm to starve to death. The weakened and dead worms are expelled by the body.

Hygromycin B is a poor oral antibiotic because it stays in the gut...ie it is not absorbed well at all by the gut...so it does not get into the bloodstream for widespread distribution like other antibiotics.

But it is good for destroying simple cell organisims (both prokaryotes and eukaryotes) in the gut...ie worms....and without withdrawal need of eggs.

I do give my birds probiotics after they finish the wormer to rebuild their gut flora.

Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Do yourself a favor next time and don't waste money or time with that stuff. Use Safe guard liquid (doesn't work for tapes) or Valbazen suspension (kills all worms).

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

8. Lady of McCamley

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I beg to differ. It does work well if you use it for at least 2 weeks (research shows 2 weeks for most worms, 6 weeks for cecal). It effectively kills the 3 most common worms for chickens...cecal, round, and I forgot the 3rd at the moment (on smart phone killing time while truck is serviced or I'd look that up)

It is not an herbal but real meds. However it does not require egg withdrawal and the wormer (Hygromycin B) is currently the only FDA approved wormer for egg layers. I sell my eggs so that is important for me as I prefer to stay on approved label use. Valbazen and Wazene are now off label use and thus technically "illegal" for hens used for eggs for human consumption.

Industry uses Hygromycin B with continuous feed but many small owners use it periodically. I find it effective to use for 2 weeks quarterly or semi annually for 2 to 3 weeks then herbals in between to keep worm load down (keeping very clean litter management as herbals do not kill the worms...just help the body immune system expel them.)

Edited to add capillary worms!
    Lady of McCamley

9. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    It doesn't work for the original poster's chickens if they won't eat it.

1 person likes this.
  10. joycespell

joycespell Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2013
    Rickman,TN
    maybe you should try mixing it with some table scraps only nothing big in there and maybe moistening it a bit and putting it a feeder with the rooster booster. I like to give my chicken a little bit of scraps once every week because it is a nice treat for them and they seem to love it. Hope this helps:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by