Rooster boxes? Or any other way to manage an early crower?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KDbeads, Dec 18, 2009.

1. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    The silkies we got yesterday surprised us at 5:30 this morning, one of which is loud enough to be heard inside and woken from sleep. I know 2 of my neighbors will not appreciate this even though we are allowed roos. So in interest of keeping the piece and keeping the roos I brought them inside this evening and put them in cat carriers in the garage for the night. My pair of whites didn't want to be separated so she came in too. Hoping this will help in the short term, long term though I was thinking a roo box in their pen/coop. But.... are there other tried and true options in case I can't get the boxes right?

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, considering the fact that my crippled rooster, who cannot even stand up, crows just fine, I rather doubt that the boxes work for all roosters. And I'd have a devil of a time finding a box wide enough for big Suede anyway, even if he does start crowing about 3:45 a.m. every day. [​IMG]

3. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    I was thinking more of a sound muffling type set up, not keeping them from crowing. Guess I didn't make that clear, sorry! This morning was much better, both silkies were crowing in the garage but you couldn't hear it well outside. No one knocked on the door to complain until my new layers started squawking like they were being killed [​IMG] We explained they were ok with it as long as it calms down eventually.
    I have some sound board here, wondering if I could partially line the boy's rooms with it?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm sure a box would muffle it. Some think that if a rooster can't raise his head, he can't crow, but I'm pretty sure a motivated boy could belt one out!

5. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    I plan on putting my rooster in a the coop at night in the dark. Boy does my little guy love to crow, he even crows when I'm going down stairs to feed them. My nieghbors can't complain , one has 8 dogs most yappy ones.Where I'm going to place the coop it's furthest away from all 4 houses.

6. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    I do that with my rooster. We are in an urban area with neighbors REALLY close. We built a "cock box" and keep it in the garage. You can use several different types of muffling material. I use sound proofing thick pads and lined the outside of the box. I've heard of others using hay/straw bales and thick blankets to cover the box. I can't hear him and he is happy to crow his heart out every morning. [​IMG]

7. chicachic

chicachic Out Of The Brooder

I had a rooster a long time ago that was VERY loud and I made a box 2 ft x 2 ft x 2ft with a top lid. I started putting him in every night after they went to sleep. Eventually he just went in by himself. The box was covered with a heavy old rug and I kept in the coop with the otherchickens. That pretty much solved the early morning crowing for us and my neighbors. Those neighbors have since moved away and the rest of them don't much care aabout the noise that my new roosters make

8. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    I have a Polish Roo that does not crow until I let him out of the coop in the morning but then he crows almost non stop. This crazy rooster will sometimes crow at night when it is dark out and he is on the roost with the girls.

9. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    My Roo Crows.... Whenever He Darn Well Pleases.... Middle Of The Night. 3:30am... Noon..... 7am Etc.... He Wakes Me Up Sometimes, But I Just Chuckle To Myself And Go Back To Sleep. Just Glad To Know They've Made It Through Another Night. [​IMG] We Have A Lot Of Wild Animals....
    Not To Knock Anyone Here But I Figure If You Can't Or Don't Want Neighbors Or Whatever To Hear, Then You Shouldn't Have A Roo. They Are Only Doing What They Know. And As Far As A Roo Lifting His Head To Crow..... Mine Does Not And He's Really Loud. [​IMG]

10. KDbeads

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Quote:Kinda unfair to say we shouldn't have a roo if we are trying to be courteous of our neighbors who are still sleeping at 4 am and who's bedroom window is only 100' from the coop. Roos are allowed here in the city but I do want to be NICE to my neighbors. Will be using a roo box from 10 pm to 7 am as our dog bark nuisance ordinance is laid out. It's not cruel or unusual punishment. Doesn't hurt the roo and they can crow all they want in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by