1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster Brawl

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marcus connor, Feb 21, 2015.

1. marcus connor

marcus connor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    I was taking target practice and saw what looked like 2 huge Mocking birds going at it by my yard, so I walked over to where I saw it and 2 of my roosters, Big Red, and Rocky, were going at it I broke them up and looked at both of them, they were just pecking not using there spurs. I was wondering what could of caused this they have been together for 6 months.Big Red is older, Rocky's younger.

[​IMG]
    This is Big Red.

[​IMG]
    This is Rocky.

2. One Chick Two

One Chick Two Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2013
    Not to worry. Rocky is at the age he will now question Big Red's flock master status.

Sometimes they may have days where there might be a small scuffle for dominance, but it usually doesn't escalate. As long as they aren't seriously hurting one another, it's actually better to let them work out their pecking order, themselves, so they can live together in peace.

If one bird is set on really hurting the other, then it would be better then if they are separated, but this sounds more like a normal occurrence for a younger cockerel to try to get top bird billing.

3. alldembirds

alldembirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    boys will be boys

4. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    Big Red was in the chicken ER for frostbite

[​IMG]

5. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    I have more news about that.Big Red was in the yard and Rocky was on the other side of the fence.Then rocky went in the fence,
    and Big Red chased him down. but they were flying and dogeing each other.But what worries me is that, they did not give up, drawing blood (witch they have done)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  6. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Macus,

It is time to intervene and totally remove one. Is Big Red possibly a gamerooster? And Rocky looks like he might have a little in him?

7. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    Yes, Big Red is Gamebird Mix, Rocky is Gamebird Mix too. I am going to clip there spurrs tomorrow, and if that does not work I will sell/give away Rocky. But i will give it 1 week to 1 month

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Yep, it is time to separate them. If they have game blood in them, fighting until one of them is dead is coming sooner than you want it to.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

You are likely to loose one or both in less than a day when it happens. Removing spurs will not make a difference. Pen up Rocky now so he looks good enough that someone will want him. Dinged up birds are hard to even give away.

1 person likes this.
  10. marcus connor

Oct 23, 2014
    Eastern Texas
    Will do. Sad to say goodbye to him when I got him when he was little. But first going to despur them, if that does not work then I will do my last resort. But remember it's my discision.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by