Rooster breathing strange

georgieboy11

Songster
5 Years
Jan 12, 2018
Indiana
My rooster Bruce who is recovering from having mites is breathing weird. It sounds like his nose is really dry or something, every time he breathes its like a raspy noise. He is also recovering from frostbite on his comb and waddles, I have been putting neosporin on them and I have him in the garage with a fan heater pointed towards his cage. Im not sure if either of those are causing it. Other than the breathing he is acting completely normal he is eating and drinking and crowing like normal. I just lost my favorite rooster this week so i'm really hoping to not lose Bruce too.

If the rooster that died had a respiratory virus, chances are Bruce has it, also. If you had gotten a necropsy when the other rooster died, it could have told you what killed him and you would then know how best to treat Bruce.

There are two possibilities - a bacterial infection secondary to the virus, or a fungal infection. The first one you would treat with Tylan, while the second you would treat with Oxine in a vaporizer. You may need to order it off Amazon as I haven't seen it in any stores. It's a disinfectant that kills fungus.

I would get some Tylan at your feed store and start him on that. If he responds and gets better, you know it's bacterial. If he doesn't get better on Tylan, then assume it's fungal and treat with the Oxine vaporizer. Place the vaporizer in front of a crate with Bruce inside. Drape a sheet or bact towel over the crate so the vapor with the Oxine accumulates inside. Do it for at least 24 straight hours.

If Bruce responds to neither treatment and gets worse, instead, it likely had cardio-pulmonary issues and tumors could be the cause. They are also caused by a virus. If Bruce ends up dying in spite of your efforts to treat him, I urge you to get a necropsy. A vet could tell you where to have it done or ask at your nearest university agricultural extension office.

If the rooster that died had a respiratory virus, chances are Bruce has it, also. If you had gotten a necropsy when the other rooster died, it could have told you what killed him and you would then know how best to treat Bruce.

There are two possibilities - a bacterial infection secondary to the virus, or a fungal infection. The first one you would treat with Tylan, while the second you would treat with Oxine in a vaporizer. You may need to order it off Amazon as I haven't seen it in any stores. It's a disinfectant that kills fungus.

I would get some Tylan at your feed store and start him on that. If he responds and gets better, you know it's bacterial. If he doesn't get better on Tylan, then assume it's fungal and treat with the Oxine vaporizer. Place the vaporizer in front of a crate with Bruce inside. Drape a sheet or bact towel over the crate so the vapor with the Oxine accumulates inside. Do it for at least 24 straight hours.

If Bruce responds to neither treatment and gets worse, instead, it likely had cardio-pulmonary issues and tumors could be the cause. They are also caused by a virus. If Bruce ends up dying in spite of your efforts to treat him, I urge you to get a necropsy. A vet could tell you where to have it done or ask at your nearest university agricultural extension office.

Thank you so much, I know I should have asked for a necropsy but the vet I took George (the rooster who died) to wasnt really a farm or bird vet but he was the only vet I could find that would see him and I dont think he would do it, I called about 6 different vets and none of them would see chickens except the one. George had really bad mites and the vet said something else was wrong with him too but he never said what it was and it was effecting his brain because he started having spasms and ended dying right there on the vet table before the vet could even figure out what all was wrong. I treated all my chickens including bruce with sevin dust for the mites and I sprayed the coop with permethrin. None of my other chickens are breathing like Bruce and Bruce and George were seperated when George started getting sick because I brought George in the garage. I really hope he will be okay and I will definitely try both of those treatments as soon as I can.

Back
Top Bottom