Rooster Breed? Pure or Cross?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MikhailJB, Dec 7, 2013.

1. MikhailJB

MikhailJB New Egg

Oct 30, 2013
    Hi All,
    I have a Rooster a bit over a~14 months old.
    He was given to me almost 12 months ago so I dont know anything about where he came from.

His nature is territorial and I handled him a lot when he was young and nursed him when he was sick for 2 weeks but as soon as she was a he and he suddenly grew he has been aggressive as hell and he will throw himself at me unless of course I have something nice to throw his way to distract him.

I would like some opinions on what people think of what is his breed or breeds are?
    I am in Australia so local breeds only apply.

Thanks,

Mikhail
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

He is a poorly bred (as compared to the Standard) hatchery grade, production type red. Likely what some hatcheries may sell as a Rhode Island Red, but far from being true bred.

As for his aggressive nature, that earns birds a trip to the freezer around here. I never keep or breed birds with nasty dispositions as temperament is as important to me as any other trait.

3. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Yep, production Rhode Island Red! First type of chickens I ever owned. Had a roo that did the exact same thing and no matter how many times I backed him down with a hoe, walked around with him like a football under my arm or even separating him from the ladies he STILL attacked me and especially my kids. Drew blood plenty too. No matter how much you don't want to or think you can't- killing him or giving him to someone THAT KNOWS he is aggressive is the solution. One last time of attacking my child unprovoked got ours strung up and plucked. Even the ladies seemed to say thanks!

4. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    [​IMG]
    One of three sons from the aggressive cock. Chicks from aggressive cockerels could have the same attitude when they grow up but these three were never in with the ladies and stayed together with no problems until I gave them away.

5. Production RIR rooster.

6. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    X2

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I agree with everyone else on breed and what to do with an agressive rooster. I have one in my crockpot right now. He went after my kids, me, my husband, and finally my mom. Retraining didn't have any effect and we had another rooster we liked better anyway. He was skinned and will make some great chicken noodle soup!

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

EVERY RIR rooster I have raised has turned out meaner than a snake.

I am raising one up now, every time I go in the coop I force him to move away and STAY away from me. Every time he even looks at me I force him into the corner. He is 7 months old now and so far has not even bluffed me yet. I have never handled him unless absolutely necessary.

I hope he turns out nonaggressive....only time will tell.

9. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Ever "RIR" I have got from a hathery, including pullets/hens, do not have good attitudes. Heritage RIRS on the other hand are sweet, including the roosters.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Agree with above. Invite him to dinner. No reason to keep an animal that attacks humans, ever. Plenty of nice roosters out there, give one of them a chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by