Rooster breed recommendations for a mixed flock of egg layers.....

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by emjay, Sep 20, 2009.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    striving for a mixed flock of egg laying hens

Orpingtons, Plymouths, Sussex, Australorp or Brahma, not all but a mix of three of these kinds at least.

what would a good rooster breed be to add to this mix.

and do mixed breed chicks sell as good as purebreds. I am not into showing, just good egg laying. [​IMG]

2. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    We have two separate flocks and have one barred rock roo and one buff orp roo. We sell barred rock-mixed chicks and pure buff orps. Both sell equally as well; people around here don't seem to care. They just want good layers. The temperment of the buff orp roo is outstanding; the barred rock roo is horribly mean and I can't even go into the coop. Not all BR roos are mean but I've never had a call from anyone wanting to get rid of buff orp roos, just the BR's.

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Our barred Roo was an awesome boy. And went to head a large flock of his own only because I was focusing on Partridge Rocks.

I actually like our Delaware boy for size - free ranging and forage ability. And NOTHING messes with his girls.

Mixed birds sell fine to most folks. Some prefer my purebred birds, it just depends what they want.

Most want good laying and good foraging skills here.

I like using a barred or delaware due to the whole sex linked ID thing when it works.

4. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    I'd say Buff Orp or Ameracauna rooster. They have good temperments,and are quite pretty. Should be fairly easy to find as well.
    I love my Speckled Sussex roo though- he's got to be the prettiest I've ever had, and so far he's a gentle giant.

5. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    I have seen some Ameracauna roos for sale around here, which is good.
    are they big crowers?? just wondering for neighbor sakes.

welcome to the neighborhood, cockadoodledoo.

(we've only been on the acreage since June and haven't met the one neighbor beside us, haha. He'll soon know all about us)

6. emjay

Sep 6, 2009
    so if I find the breeds I want

buff orp.
    speckled sussex
    barred plymouth,

would love to get an Australorp or two.

and if I was able to hatch any eggs , what would the mixes look like with an Ameracauna or a Buff Orp. roo. Anyone have mixes with these breeds in them?

an Australorp roo would be nice too.
    who is the quietest?? lol

7. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

I love my partridge rock roo. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by