Rooster breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by badhabitz98, Apr 3, 2017.

1. badhabitz98

badhabitz98 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2013
    My sweet black copper maran rooster passed away a couple weeks ago and after much debate, I decided to replace him. I miss rooster cuddles (forced cuddles- ha!) and crowing. My aunt is giving me one of her roosters because she ended up with an extra and her hens are overmated. We have no idea what his breed is or possible crosses. His feather color is like an australorp, but comb and body is not. What do you guys think he may be? [​IMG][/IMG]

2. badhabitz98

Apr 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. badhabitz98

Apr 12, 2013
    [​IMG]

4. badhabitz98

Apr 12, 2013
    Bump

5. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    He looks like an Oriental game of some sort.

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    This very unique rooster looks to be a Asil gamefowl cross. He's very upright and definitely has that rather predatory look to him.

This is a photo from google:

[​IMG]

7. badhabitz98

Apr 12, 2013
    Oh that does look a lot like him. The very upright position definitely had me stumped. I googled for an hour last night and couldn't find anything similar enough to him. Thank you!

8. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    Your welcome. Definitely do your research on this breed. These are an interesting bird for sure.

The Malay and Shamo are a similar breed that you can also research. Some breeders have created a definite contender for 'Dino-Bird'!

9. badhabitz98

Apr 12, 2013
    Hmmmm. I just researched him and I'm a little concerned. My aunt says he loves his hens and isn't aggressive toward people at all. But adding him to a new flock of more docile breeds (she has some barred rocks but also RIR which can be feisty) may be an issue. I'm not sure what to do. I don't want him hurting the girls, but there are no other males (drakes or roos) in the coop to compete with. He would have access to 15 hens (and I have 6 pullets in the brooder now - I think 5 will make it). I just don't know how he will be with the girls.

10. theoldchick

May 11, 2010
    I'd watch him. If you free range your hens, you should be fine. However, any breed of rooster can be aggressive with people. Never ever trust any rooster with small children. Cull him if he aggressive toward his hens and people.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by