1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster? Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LizCar, Oct 19, 2013.

1. LizCar

LizCar Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2013
    Hi, I have this really pretty and very small little chicken. I got it from a feed store and it was just suppose to be a "bantam". It was a really small chick and marked like a wild looking bird with a cool design on it's back. It stayed REALLY small for a REALLY long time compared to my other bantam type chicks. It also feathered out really slowly compared to the others. It has colored out beautifully and totally not how I thought it would compared to it's chick coloring... It is about 4 months old and still very small. It has long, pointed, thin feathers around it's neck and saddle area. It has never crowed but I think it might be a roo? And what breed or mix is it? It is so small and petite, not super puffy like a lot of bantams I have seen... It is also kind of a feisty little thing, not mean, just full of itself.
    [​IMG]

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

He could be a Serama, especially if he is smaller than your other bantam chickens.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's a rooster. I have no idea of breed.

4. LizCar

Oct 18, 2013
    I have some Seramas and he really isn't shaped like them, not that "folded in half" look, but I guess he could be part...

5. Veer67

Well feed store chickens are more pet quality, they can differ. Maybe an oegb? But he is a rooster.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Cackle sells spangled OEGs ?

7. Veer67

I would agree. On second thought feedstores like TSC sell OEGBs, and the body structure fits.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  8. BettyBlueSilkie

BettyBlueSilkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2013
    WA
    I think its breed is a speckled Sussex. I think its a roo.[​IMG]

9. LizCar

Oct 18, 2013
    Aren't those things big? This thing is micro tiny...

10. Veer67

Speckled Sussex are large fowl but there are bantams of that breed as well, they won't be as small as how your describing your little rooster though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by