Rooster Breeds?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ClareScifi, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Can anyone tell me whether some breeds of roosters are known to crow younger than others? What about Silver-Laced Sebright roosters? Do they tend to crow at a younger age than other breeds? Or what about Buff Orpingtons?

Thanks for your help,

Clare

2. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I just read that Bantie Roosters tend to start crowing at 5-6 months, so it would seem Banties tend to be late crowers?

I read that Brahma chickens are late crowers.

I wonder whether Orpingtons are early crowers?

3. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    Where did you read this? I have 6 Cochin Btm cockerels and they all started crowing already The oldest will be 4 mos in a couple days and he started crowing when he was only 5 weeks old. The others started a couple weeks later when they were around the same age. I have never had a Cochin rooster take 5-6 mos to start crowing, in fact I have never had any bird wait that long.

~Casey

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I read it in some site on chickens. I don't remember-- I had just Googled the phrase: When do bantam roosters start to crow? And it came up.

So do you see a pattern with Bantie roosters crowing earlier than other types of roosters? I've been reading a lot of threads about Bantie roosters crowing earlier than others, and 10 weeks seems standard for Banties? My boy turns 10 weeks on Tuesday.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Early maturing breeds are usually the first to crow.
    I had a Jaerhon rooster crow at 5 weeks.
    Anconas, andalusians, catalanas, buttercups, leghorns, new hampshires, faverolles would be in that category.

6. Mr. Ree

Mr. Ree Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2007
    South Central, KY
    Quote:We raise Leghorns as well and they are usually the first ones to crow. And Im not sure if what you breed depends on how early a cockerel will crow. It just depends on the bird. I have had little Cochins try and start crowing at 3 weeks before, and I have had birds that seems like have never crowed. I have 6 adult bantam roosters and of them, I have heard the Silkie crow more often than any of the others, and have only heard one of my White Cochins crow only a couple times and I have had him for awhile. Also have a Splash frizzle rooster that has NEVER crowed that I have heard or seen. He was purchased as a 3 week old chick and that was in early March. Still have yet to hear him or see him crow.

~Casey

7. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Well, I wonder whether my boy could be half White Leghorn, if Leghorns crow early, but people think there's not enough white on him for that to be the case. Others have thought they've seen Leghorn in him.

He has the whole place to himself, indoors, so maybe that encouraged him to crow freely?

I read that the less dominant rooster will often choose not to crow, so as to let the Alpha Male have the spotlight. However, I don't think either of the obvious Leghorn roosters have started to crow yet.

I also read that crowing can be a sign of boredom, nothing else to do. Since he doesn't have indoor playmates, maybe crowing is just something fun to do to make up for the lack of buddies?

8. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Does anyone think they can detect White Leghorn in my early-crowing baby boy?:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  9. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Someone said he looks part bird of prey, with the raptor beak! Do you think it is possible that a Buff Orpington could have mated with an eagle or a pheasant or a hawk????

10. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    I have changed my mind again, after seeing his tail in the sunlight today. It's getting high and pointy, like the little Silver-Laced Sebring Bantie Hen's tail. I think he's half Bantie, even though he has the huge Orpington feet! What a weird mix! But I guess it's possible???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by