rooster breeds

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chookhead, Feb 17, 2012.

1. chookhead

chookhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    hi everyone i need names of breeds of roosters that gett the job(mating) done and are very protective of their hens

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    That's a rooster's biological responsibility - ALL of them will do that. The key is to get a rooster that's not going to try to take you out in defense of his hens.

There are lots and lots of mutt roosters on CraigsList, many for $0-10, and they would do just fine protecting your flock if you have no breeding objectives and just want to make more chickens.

3. chookhead

Sep 7, 2011
    yea thank you i will have a look

4. chookhead

Sep 7, 2011
    but int he past i have seen and dealt with stupid roosters that dont stick to his hens he goes around and barely fertilises any eggs at all also the whimps as soon as a fox comes he runs and leaves the hens to fight

5. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    You can try any breed of Game roosters. They're good at free-ranging, and I've heard a lot of good stuff about how they treat their girls.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Never heard of or known disappointment in American Gamefowl, Oriental Gamefowl, and Araucanas (real ones that don't have any tail)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by