Rooster Breeds?

Your roosters are Easter Eggers. They are common cross-bred roosters, often sold by hatcheries as "Americanas" or Araucanas/Ameraucas. Easter Eggers come in an endless array of colors because they are mixes. They can look like almost anything. This is probably why you haven't been able to find any pictures that look exactly like your birds, as no bird is the same. Pretty boys!

And, your "Americana" hens are actually Easter Eggers. As I explained in the previous paragraph, Americanas are not pure bred. If you see "Americanas" they are not purebred Ameraucanas. Ameraucanas are purebred chickens that show some specific characteristics, come in about six specified color patterns, and lay blue eggs.

Last edited:
Easter eggers, just like the hens.

I love the description Mcmurray hatchery has started putting with their birds, it's the most honest I've seen from any of the hatcheries.....

This unusual breed gets in name from the India tribe of Chilie where they were first discovered. Our chicks have some Araucana and some Ameraucana blood mixed and consequently are not for show but are beautiful chickens known for their ability to lay colored eggs of shades varying from turquoise to deep olive to shades of brown. Each bird will typically lay a different shade of colored egg that will amaze your friends and make a wonderful "show and tell" type project for school. Adults are of medicum size with pea combs and our breeding stock are selected for their ability to produce colored eggs. They exhibit a wonderful combination of colors and color patterns and 10 or 20 of these birds will make an absolutely beautiful laying flock that is extremely hardy and will be the talk of the town. Baby chicks come in all colors, plain and fancy, just like the adults. This is a unique breed and great fun to have when the colored eggs start coming. Our chicks are recommended for egg laying color and ability, not for exhibition

So why are my eggs from these hens just hatching, after 31 days, and 99% still have not hatched? I checked them they are alive and moving inside, does this mean they were not fertilized until ten days after they were laid or what?? The first one hatched this morning I was about to throw them out since it was so far past 21 days.

So why are my eggs from these hens just hatching, after 31 days, and 99% still have not hatched? I checked them they are alive and moving inside, does this mean they were not fertilized until ten days after they were laid or what?? The first one hatched this morning I was about to throw them out since it was so far past 21 days.

We'd need a lot more info on how the eggs are being incubated--broody hen or incubator? You might also post on the incubation thread, those folks know a lot more about it than I do, I just chuck eggs under a broody hen and let her do her thing. An incubator would be seriously dangerous for me!

I do know an egg is fertilized before it is laid, not after. I'm guessing you had temperature issues, something like that.

These eggs were all under the broody hen since August 28th, one was hatched and almost dead this morning when I took it out and the rest to see if they had chicks inside, used water to find out and they all have chicks, if I had not intervened though the chick would be dead already he was pushed out of from under the broody hen and his body was cold until I warmed it and brought it to life. It is doing great now, and the other eggs are all under my light with the little chirping chick. I did post under incubation I thought with no replies as of tonight.

These eggs were all under the broody hen since August 28th, one was hatched and almost dead this morning when I took it out and the rest to see if they had chicks inside, used water to find out and they all have chicks, if I had not intervened though the chick would be dead already he was pushed out of from under the broody hen and his body was cold until I warmed it and brought it to life. It is doing great now, and the other eggs are all under my light with the little chirping chick. I did post under incubation I thought with no replies as of tonight.
I don't understand the bolded part.

When a hen goes broody, they often steal other hens' eggs. Did you mark the eggs she started out with to be sure no eggs got added later? That's a common problem.

How many eggs were under her? Is it possible she couldn't cover them all and they got too cold?

Back
Top Bottom