Rooster broke a nail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by greenchickeneer, Jan 20, 2010.

1. greenchickeneer

greenchickeneer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We just got a new rooster, brought him home in a cardboard box. When we got him home he was covered in blood, after examination we noticed that he is missing a claw on one apendage completely torn off. Should we do anything. Can we give him a bath? He is all white, quite pretty, the blood on him looks pretty gory. : )

2. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Yes you can bath him, just dont keep his toe in the water, clean it with cool water, then put some clear non sting iodine on it and or stick his toe in flour. the flour will help slo down the bleeding if not stop the bleeding.

3. sparky134

sparky134 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    This just happened to me on Sunday with a hen. I cleaned with xenodine (iodine antiseptic) and then used blood stop you can get that at any feed or TSC. I also used 3m bandages the rubber like ones, small ones, I had to put 3 on at a time but those bandages stayed on for 24 hours at a time. I then changed every evening and did the same routine until last night it looked good enough not to put any dressing on it. Good luck..

4. greenchickeneer

greenchickeneer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thank you much. We're on it. He seems to be doing ok.

5. sparky134

sparky134 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    Glad to hear it...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by