1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rooster broke his leg? Help! Leg is floppy...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by horsepowerhaven, Jun 25, 2011.

1. horsepowerhaven

horsepowerhaven Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2009
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    So last night I discovered that my rooster's leg was loose and floppy and he could not get on the roost. I felt his leg and cannot feel anything broken but he cannot walk on the leg and he doesn't seem to have any muscle control over it. What can I do?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
  3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    I suppose they can pull a ligament just like people can. Maybe he had some head trauma. Is he normal in every other way?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you're pretty sure there is a fracture there, you will need to immobilize it somehow so it will heal as one bone instead of two separated ones. Even if it doesn't heal like his former self, this is better than a moving bone. I've never done this but have read that vet wrap works pretty well, maybe with a popsicle stick type of splint if needed.

5. horsepowerhaven

horsepowerhaven Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2009
    Queen Creek, Arizona
    I don't think it is broken that I can tell. It is just flopping and he can't move it. Let me see if I can post a picture or video.

6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would use some rolled newspaper and aline his leg on it, then wrap with vet wrap. Put the leg in the best position for balance before wrapping. Keep him in a safe place with little movement.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by