Rooster brothers?

amazondoc

Cracked Egghead
12 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Lebanon, TN
A question for all you wise and wonderful folk --

In your experience, do roosters who have grown up together since chick-hood tend to get along better as adults than roosters who didn't meet until adulthood? Can you tell a difference?

Thanks for any input!

All depends on the girls! If there are hens around the boys will be boys and compete for the ladies. If there are a good ten hens per roo, they might get along better since they will be busy keeping track of their flock. All male animals, related or not, (people or animals!) will compete for breeding rights. Just nature making the strongest survive.

Jane

Thanks guys.

I am planning on having around 10 hens total. Maybe 12. I had planned on having two roosters -- one Brabanter, and one Welsummer. However, I am thinking more and more about possibly TWO Welsummers, PLUS the Brabanter.

Both would be from Cynthia's cockerels. I've already picked out one of them for myself, based on temperament. But another one that she had originally picked out for me is a terribly handsome fella. Now, I would NOT turn my back on the guy I already picked........but I MIGHT cave in and add the other.

I figure I've got the facilities to separate two roosters (one Welsummer and one Brabanter) if I needed to separate them. But I'm not really sure I would have places to separate THREE if they all decided to not get along.

Whaddaya think?

Last edited:
I've got two silkie roos that are brothers. Every three months or so they have a deathmatch. They will fight until they are exhausted and limping. They never actually do any damage to each other, but I don't think the fact that they were raised together makes one bit of difference when ladies are concerned.

Not sure, but I'd bet if they grow up together, they'll fight less, in general. All groups will establish an alpha roo and then lesser ones. If you decide to keep a second Welsummer, let me know so I can hold one back for you.

Back
Top Bottom