Rooster bullying hen

Denellem

Hatching
Aug 5, 2020
Hi, I have a 2 year old meat hen and a year old New Hampshire Rooster. They have been together with the rest of my hens since bittys but since the rooster has matured he has become VERY aggressive towards my meat hen. We have kept them separate for over a month and the aggression continues. It is just towards her. Anyone know what I can do to stop him from killing her??? TIA

Denellem

Hatching
Aug 5, 2020
Remove the hen. Remove the rooster. Anything to prevent him access to her. You can manage a rooster by segregating him. A flock can benefit from the decrease in stress. When one hen is hounded by a rooster, it affects the entire flock.
Thank you for the response! I have removed her but not him. Should I quarantine both of them??

Denellem

Hatching
Aug 5, 2020
At 2 years she should more than old enough for the freezer.
Lol yeah she’s kind of a pet now 🙈 she was actually given to us and she turned out to be our most tamed chicken lol and she lays pretty nice size eggs 🤷🏻‍♀️

azygous

Crossing the Road
10 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
No need to quarantine. Just separate them. For example, my hens get to be rooster-free all morning during laying. The roosters go out to free range first thing in the morning.

I have some very old hens that gt very upset when the roosters pay attention to them, so I keep them in a different pen so the roosters can't get to them to bother them.

Top Bottom