Rooster bullying just one hen.

lulubell15

Songster
6 Years
Dec 12, 2015
County Offaly, Ireland.
My problem is that my rooster is bullying just one of the six hens I have. 4 of the six hens I have had for about 3 years & back in late July one of my girls hatched out 4 eggs, which produced 2 hens & 2 cockerels. I gave away one cockerel as he was very aggressive to the others & me. The other male is quite good natured, now 7 months old he constantly crows & performs his male duties with great enthusiasm. It's just over the last few days he seems to have taken a dislike for one of the older girls, & every time she leaves the coop he really attacks her to the extent that she won't venture over to the feeders. I've tried shooing him away from her & I have sprayed her with that purple anti pecking liquid, I even banned him from the run for a few hours, but he's just as bad. I don't really want to find new homes for either of them. Any advice would be most welcome.

I'd remove him from the flock, let them reestablish their pecking order so she can get back "in" and the reintroduce him a few days later. It's worked for me in the past.

-IdahoTom

Thanks for the quick response Idaho Tom. I did think that when I banned him from the run, I will have to get my better half to knock up some temporary accommodation for him. Do you think it would be best to keep him out of sight from the others? He definitely won't be out of earshot.

It could make the transition easier but isn't required. As long as he isn't physically with the flock it should still work.

-IdahoTom

Hi Idaho Tom, Just thought I would let you know I tried separating the rooster for a few days, I put him a caged trailer next to the coop so he could still see the girls. When I put him back in with them there was no change, he was still picking viciously at one of them. He got his marching orders & I took him back to the women who has supplied all my chickens where she will use him for breeding. I came away with 2 lovely cuckoo maran hens. They are settling in slowly. Thanks again for trying to help.

Back
Top Bottom