Rooster Bullying One Hen

samsnonna2048

In the Brooder
Aug 29, 2020
PA
I have a 10 month old Easter Egger Rooster who is beautiful. He's been a good boy until just lately. He started bullying one hen to the point of bleeding. We separated her until she healed and then used the dog crate method to reintroduce her back to the main flock. Everything was fine for about 10 days and 2 days ago we noticed her lethargic and bloodied again. We have seen him chasing her. She won't mate with him....runs from him. She separated again and I'm not sure what to do. He is not like this with the other hens. Is there a solution or is it time to re home him. He's fine with me and my husband.

Since he's not bothering the other hens, I would suggest you find another home for the hen who is being attacked. Otherwise, you can rehome the rooster and keep the hen. If you don't want to raise chicks you don't need the rooster.

I am fortunate in that I have three seperate coops and runs, but my chickens do share a chicken yard.
I had a problem in the coop that my rooster occupied after molt last year. There was a hen that ( his favorite previously) my rooster suddenly began picking on. She was very docile and would squat but he would peck her after breeding and chase her away from the other hens. It broke my heart to see her ostracized. In the same coop, there were two girls losing feathers. One had a bald butt. After putting a camera in for a couple of days, I found that the "docile" hen was doing the feather picking. I moved her along with a "sister's to another coop and all went fine. After a couple of months, they were sharing the yard together. Now he occasionally breeds her but no longer pecks her and I haven't had anymore feather picking. I guess it was a matter of breaking a habit.
I can't say that your hen is at fault, but part of a roosters job is to keep the peace. He can be brutal if someone gets out of line. This includes making sure they are submissive so that he can protect the flock as a whole. It isn't cruelty so much as instinct.
As @theoldchick said, you don't need a rooster unless you want chicks. I'm a sucker for a good looking, docile rooster but an all hen flock is often easier to manage.
I hope everything works out for you and your flock.

Back
Top Bottom