Rooster bullying one hen..?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by irisshiller, Aug 6, 2014.

1. irisshiller

irisshiller Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2014
    Israel
    PHi! I recently got 3 'brandless' white chickens from a friend and so I started a little flock... The chickens seemed to have their pecking order sorted out - two are the higher ranking ones and the third one is always lower than them, literally. She seemed to have trouble walking at first and just seemed to be crouching on the ground a lot. I checked her legs but could see nothing wrong with them, except that the nails were very long. After a few days though, she started walking upright more, scratching around with rhe others, so I assumed her nails were wearing down by activity. They were closed in a very small cage before I got them.

Now , a couple of days ago, someone left me a surprise rooster... I wasnt sure what to do, but decided to try out if he and the hens got on. He is also white and brandless but very small, almost half the size of the hens. At first, everyone seemed fine, they all walked and scratched accross the yard together. Atnight, the lowest hen didnt roost with them but she never does, so I didnt see a problem. The next day, I noticed that hen (Rachel) got left out alot. At night, the rooster wouldnt let her into the coop - he chased her out.

Im worried by this behaviour... did he single Rachel out because she doesnt walk well? Will this pass? Should I separate them, and if so, who..? I am planning to get some more chickens of a different breed, matbe Bantams, but now I wonder if he might bully them? He is so tiny though, not much bigger than a bantam himself! I also noticed something has torn my rabbit's ear, and I sort of suspect him. Not sure what to do! Would very much appreciate suggestions!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    First and foremost I would highly suggest you isolate that rooster from your little flock. It isn't a good idea to just 'plop' a newcomer, let alone a rooster, into an existing flock...things can get pretty dicey pretty quickly. Your girls need time to get used to him and vice-versa.

3. irisshiller

irisshiller Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2014
    Israel
    OK, thanks... looks like I made a mistake putting him straight in with them. When I get more chickens, I will make sure to keep them separated at first. (I won't be getting another rooster, just hens).

This morning when I got there, though, Rachel seemed fine and wasn't separate from the others. I also saw the little rooster trying to dance around her with one wing down - isn't that supposed to be an invitation for mating..?

Maybe he is just confused and upset by the move and the hens too. I will separate him for a while. Thank you!

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Sounds like the mating dance to me! LOL It's always a good idea to separate any/all new members to your existing flock for two reasons: 1) so that you can observe if they are carrying any illnesses, injuries you hadn't noticed previously, etc.; and 2) so the existing flock can get used to the new one(s) which will hopefully lessen fighting.

Best of luck in all you do!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by