Rooster bullying other one...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JodyJo, Jun 20, 2011.

1. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    So I have 2 roos, three actually, but this concerns two of them...both EE's, I noticed one of them yesterday, going after one of the others, every time he would sit and relax, the other one would come up behind him and push him...or peck, then crow in his face...I know they are determining who is in charge, but will these ease up? I am only going to keep one, maybe two of the roos, if this one is going to cower all the time and not do rooster stuff, should I bother keeping him? I love this rooster too, but know I don't want him abused by this other one...

Suggestions? Do I hang on to him or re-home him?

[​IMG]
    This is the one getting picked on...

[​IMG]
    This one is the bully....

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    They are both beautiful. I don't have alot of experience but can tell you I have 3 roosters. 1 is a black Minorca. And 2 are RIR's. The minorca and 1 RIR picked on the other rir all the time. Even made him bleed. He hardly ever crowed either. We finally got enough hens and built 2 more coops and seperated all 3. The one that was picked on is thriving now. He is so good with his girls and crows his head off. So don't give up on him. Once he is by himself he could come into his own. Good luck.

3. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I have 13 pullets, and 3 more babies that are pullets also, so I will have plenty for 2 roos, but with 3 to choose from, I need to make sure I keep the right two...Here is the other one:, also an EE

[​IMG]

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Tough decision. Until we got our other coops built we took the 2 roos that were bullying the other one and put them in the grow out pen together. Than we got the other done. I think they are all gorgeous. Good luck. I would definetly keep the nicest of them.

5. JodyJo

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Well its the hens making the issue I believe...I raised 9 roos last year, not by choice...and they all did the mock fighting etc, but got along great, add some females to the equation and voila...instant issues! They are all auditioning, they just don't know it yet!

6. zebserema

zebserema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    their is nothing you can do except get rid of them they will always fight my rooster a breed of star almost killed my silkie rooster but hats just what they do [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by