Rooster burn

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ravishaw, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    No I'm not calling for violence against unwanted roosters...

My pullets are just starting to attract my rooster's attention, and he'll hop on their back, and take care of business.
    Then he gets off and the hens back feathers are all messed up. I call this rooster burn.

My americauna's feathers were all pretty and now they're all pushed around and grey.

2. Chicken Frenzie

Chicken Frenzie Chicken Whisperer

Nov 2, 2010
    My roo (REally mean ) Is hoping on one of the hens (Was born June 13 2009 and is a BA) And hes like doing the same thing! Jumping on the back, but he digs his beak into Jewel's (The hen's name) Neck. Then it messes up her head/neck feathers. I get so mad I have to PULL the rooster off and Hold my girl ten she goes to her 'sister' Bell'e an EE and she 'talks' to Bell'e and then Bell'e gets mad t the rooster xD

3. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I still chuckle at me EE... I think I saw her first time with the rooster. He hopped off and stood an arms length away, waiting for her to hop up and resume scratching, but she just stayed put. I was interested so I watched and for 4 minutes she just sat there.

It's like she was saying, "That was it?"

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

Ever consider chicken saddles? They work pretty well. We had a lover boy who favored 2 hens. Problem wasn't exactly avoided this way, but it certainly kept the girlies' feather clean and neat. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by