Rooster Business

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cricketsfarm, Jul 19, 2011.

1. cricketsfarm

cricketsfarm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2011
    Nauvoo, AL
    I just noticed the feet of one of the EE roosters. The inside toe on each foot is deformed. They turn outward.
    Will he be able to do business with the ladies? If he can= will it be genetic?
    Or should his name be Entree?

I will show two pictures

Edited to say===oops= my photobucket was set for avatar size===gotta go upload again===sorry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  2. cricketsfarm

Jul 10, 2011
    Nauvoo, AL

[​IMG]

3. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    When you upload the picture copy the image adress(the bottom one) and it should be bigger. About your question the "toe" your talking about might be his spur. Roosters grow spurs, which are spikes that come out of the back of each leg, and they use them to defend themselves and the rest of the flock. [​IMG]

4. Zaxby's2

Zaxby's2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    a place
    Oh, sorry. I don't know if this will affect him or not. Has he had it his whole life?

5. cricketsfarm

Jul 10, 2011
    Nauvoo, AL
    He is only 10 weeks old and I just noticed it a couple days ago.

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If it were on one foot I'd say it could be that he broke it and that it grew back that way. Or sometimes high incubating temperatures can cause foot deformities. But since it is the same on both feet, I'd suspect genetics. But I'm guessing. There are others on the forum that should be better at this than me. Hope some of them see this and chime in.

7. daydreamer92

daydreamer92 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2011
    One of our Silver Leghorns has crooked toes on both feet. Others from presumably the same hatch did not. A few other chickens have a couple funky toes.

Toes do not stop roosters from 'doing their business' unless, perhaps, they have none at all [​IMG]

I wouldn't worry too much about it. He looks like he's getting around just fine.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:Along with Ridgerunner I would think that there might be a strong genetic component in this instance. If he is related to your pullets, definately don't use him as a breeder. Also if you hatch chicks sired by him, do not breed him back to his daughters.

Love your signature line-- It's my daily prayer.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  9. cricketsfarm

Jul 10, 2011
    Nauvoo, AL
    Thanks for all the insights and opinions. My sister has an EE hen but she doesn't have a rooster. I was going to
    give her the rooster but I didn't want to give her one that wouldn't perform very well and she was concerned about it
    too. I only have 2 EE roosters and one hen. I need more hens.
    And thanks for the compliment Sourland. I pray it often as well. It just fits everything in life.

Happy Farming

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by