Rooster Business

cricketsfarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
Nauvoo, AL
I just noticed the feet of one of the EE roosters. The inside toe on each foot is deformed. They turn outward.
Will he be able to do business with the ladies? If he can= will it be genetic?
Or should his name be Entree?

I will show two pictures

Edited to say===oops= my photobucket was set for avatar size===gotta go upload again===sorry

100_1339.jpg

100_1353.jpg

Last edited:
When you upload the picture copy the image adress(the bottom one) and it should be bigger. About your question the "toe" your talking about might be his spur. Roosters grow spurs, which are spikes that come out of the back of each leg, and they use them to defend themselves and the rest of the flock.
big_smile.png

If it were on one foot I'd say it could be that he broke it and that it grew back that way. Or sometimes high incubating temperatures can cause foot deformities. But since it is the same on both feet, I'd suspect genetics. But I'm guessing. There are others on the forum that should be better at this than me. Hope some of them see this and chime in.

One of our Silver Leghorns has crooked toes on both feet. Others from presumably the same hatch did not. A few other chickens have a couple funky toes.

Toes do not stop roosters from 'doing their business' unless, perhaps, they have none at all
smile.png

I wouldn't worry too much about it. He looks like he's getting around just fine.

Quote:
Along with Ridgerunner I would think that there might be a strong genetic component in this instance. If he is related to your pullets, definately don't use him as a breeder. Also if you hatch chicks sired by him, do not breed him back to his daughters.

Love your signature line-- It's my daily prayer.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the insights and opinions. My sister has an EE hen but she doesn't have a rooster. I was going to
give her the rooster but I didn't want to give her one that wouldn't perform very well and she was concerned about it
too. I only have 2 EE roosters and one hen. I need more hens.
And thanks for the compliment Sourland. I pray it often as well. It just fits everything in life.

Happy Farming

Back
Top Bottom