Rooster butt pecked by hens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stcroixusvi, Nov 12, 2011.

1. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    We coasted along with our 22 pet chickens for 6 months and no problems. Now it seems like one after another. Now our head rooster is getting a bald butt. I watch the hens walk by him and grab those small downy feathers. He NEVER drops his tail feathers as he is always on guard, and has the feathers more erect than erect. And he doesn't ever object to their peck. Is this normal?

2. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Normal, no. Kinda funny? Yes. I feel bad for your roo , but the visual of all those girls casually plucking out feathers as they pass strikes me funny. On a serious note, have you picked him up and really examined him to make sure he is ok? They will do that if there is a sore, etc.

3. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Good question. I pick him up daily to keep him from getting aggressive toward me and I never looked closely - I will first thing in the morning. I do see them grabbing the little soft downy feathers, though, but you may be right - it might be something else.

4. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    I closely inspected Stevie's butt this morning and could find nothing unusual other than some short feather roots that had been plucked. I sprayed blue kote on him to alleviate the pecking. I wonder if they do it because they can. None of the other roosters hold their tail feathers so straight up. His rear end has always been exposed like that since he could lift a tail feather, and he has always been in charge.

5. Eris

Eris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    El Paso, Texas
    I have the same problems with one of my roosters right now. Everyone seems to enjoy pecking his butt lately.

I don't know if he is loosing his spot in the pecking order or what it might be. Let us know if you figure anything out [​IMG]

6. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Quote:I have a white rock roo that has his butt is pecked bald. My older girls started this trend since I got rid of my other roos. They will follow him around and just peck him,now the younger girls have followed suit. If I see them doing it a squirt of the hose deters them a least for the moment. I was wondering if blue cote would work,keep us posted. Its not lack of protien or to small of area,I got that covered and they are not pecking each other just him. I got a BO that grooms his neck feathers too,dont know what thats all about. Anyway you are not alone.

7. stcroixusvi

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Honestly, I think they do it because they can. He is so intently watching everything to make sure that everyone is safe that he doesn't see what's right behind him. And when they peck, he doesn't even seem to acknowledge the act. Stevie is the rooster in my avatar, a striking golden laced Polish chicken. From the time he was a small chick, he was busy as head rooster. I will keep you posted on the blue kote - hopefully it will at least allow his big feathers to grow out.

8. dalhartchick

dalhartchick New Egg

Aug 4, 2013
    Our rooster had been getting butt pecked by our 6 hens for several months since they have started this he has sores that have bleed, he doesn't act like it bothers him. Should we sepearte him till the soars heal?

9. CajunFarmMom

CajunFarmMom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Erath, Louisiana
    Yes
    Yes, separate him. If he bleeds, the others will continue to peck as chickens are canibalistic. I've had this going on sine June and my poor roo's skin isn't healing, nor are his feathers back. Every time they start to grow they are pecked out. I've used Veterycin up til now and after posting pics in another forum I bought Blue Cote today. Will spray him tomorrow and maybe bring him back into the house to heal up some. I am posting pics of what was done to him. His poor tail was the worst. And he's just the sweetest roo. Oops-pics are in my phone. I'll post after this one.

10. CajunFarmMom

CajunFarmMom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2013
    Erath, Louisiana
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by