Rooster by himself?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Seaecho, May 17, 2018.

1. Seaecho

Seaecho Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    High Desert, S. CA.
    Long story short (I've posted about him before) my 14 week old bantam cockerel is pecking the pullets and hens for no reason, and no one is putting him in his place but the hen. That leaves two pullets who run from him, and scream when he pecks them for no reason. I love him too much (he purrs in my ear and loves to be cuddled) to get rid of him, so we are going to get the Lowe's dog run this weekend. The 10x10x6 just for him.

My question--won't he be lonely all by himself? I mean, the pen will be right next to the girls, but still . . . he'll be unhappy, won't he? And how can I correct this situation without putting a girl in with him that he's going to abuse? And no, I really DON'T want another rooster!

2. Once he is fully matured he will be a different bird. A roosters place is the boss (leader or guardian) is not the right term. That is why the older hen still puts him in his place but the two pullets run from him. There is in fact every reason for him to peck the 2 pullets. We as humans just can't understand the reason.

3. RWise

RWise Songster

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    I keep extra roosters in private quarters in plane site of the flock. They get to talk to the girls, do their dance but no touching, until I want chicks from whichever one, and he gets the flock for that time. Or whichever one is out gets the flock until I want to change him out.

Brahma Chicken5000 likes this.
  4. Seaecho

Seaecho Songster

Oct 12, 2017
    High Desert, S. CA.
    Thank you for the replies. I feel like it will be cruel to keep him by himself when he's been with the hen and pullets ever since he came to live with me. I guess, if he can see the flock, it won't be so bad for him. Chickengeorgeto, do you mean that, when he's mature, he'll be able to be kept with the hens and he won't bully them anymore?

5. RWise

RWise Songster

Dec 25, 2012
    Oakhurst Oklahoma
    After 1 YO they tend to calm down a lot, I myself prefer 2 YOs, though it is a 1YO on the flock now and all is good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by