Rooster can no longer walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by clayb226, Feb 3, 2013.

1. clayb226

clayb226 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    I have a BLRW Roo that has developed a leg injury. The other day, he was barely limping. I just checked him for bumble foot, splinters and other obvious injuries, but could not see or feel any issues. Now, just a few days later, he can not hardly walk and just lets it drag behind him, and lays down with it sticking out behind him every chance he gets. I have isolated him in a pen I use to brooder older chicks in the coop before introduction to main flock.
    Is there anything else I may be able to check and help determine the root cause of the issue?

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    When you hold him does he resist if you try to move the injured leg? Check the hock (leg joint) for swelling or anything out of the ordinary if you try to gently move the leg. If you place your finger in his foot pad, will he grasp your fingers with his foot? Two more questions. When he lays down, does he stretch his neck out in front of him ,and are any feathers loose of pulling out easily?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  3. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    Do you think he might have Marek's Disease?

4. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Does not really resist when I move it. I did not notice the leg joint being swollen, but could be possible, and I did not notice anything when I out of the ordinary when I moved his leg. I did not try to place my finger on the pad of his foot to see if he tried to grasp it, but will as soon as I can. When he lays down, his neck does not stretch way out, just stays right above him. I did notice that some of his feather came out a little easier than I thought they should when he was trying to run from me and I got a little hand of feathers. I have had him over a year, and this is the only issue I have seen from him, and no hens are showing any signs of it, and I hatched some out to put in there with them.

5. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    I am unsure of the answer to this, but lets just assume for a minute that he has Marek's Disease. How would one go about getting it all cured from my land? Will I have to kill all my chickens and start over?? If so, can I eat them, or will they make my family sick? What about eggs, will they be contaminated also, and pass it on?

6. SpeckledHills

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    I don't know very much about Marek's but you can use the "Search" at the top to look up other people's experience. There is a lot on here.

7. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Thought I would give an update on my rooster. He is still isolated, he is also still not able to use his right leg much. His condition has not got any worse, but no better either. He, kind of uses it like a peg leg, but his middle toe seems to tuck under. I picked him up, did not notice any swelling of any kind, but did notice his middle toe seemed cool to the touch. I checked to see if his foot tried to grasp my finger when I put it on the pad of his foot, it did not on either foot. He is laying down to eat, and every now and again it looks like his right wing is relaxing and getting where it is not tucked up like the other side. Then he will put he wing right again, and flaps both his wings correctly to get up. Eats and drinks, what seem to be, normal. I will have to keep an eye on him to see which direction he goes.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    It sounds like what my first roo went thru with Marek's. Sorry to say it.

9. SpeckledHills

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    [​IMG] Hoping for the best!

10. clayb226

Mar 31, 2011
    Missouri
    Thanks, now I have another question. I was wanting to start a small breeding program with my kids to sale hatching eggs, chicks, and older birds to help teach them a few responsibilities. If this is marek's, will I not be able to ever do this now? Is there anyway to get mareks from my land so I can do this stuff with my kids? They are really wanting to do this, but I do not want to spread it to any other flocks. I am not sure where it came from, if that is what it is, since I have had all my birds for a couple years, with no symptoms. I guess I will have to call the vet and see what it costs to have him tested, and if they carry the vax. Will it be OK to eat the birds if they have it, and not showing any symptoms? Are they still carriers if they do not show any symptoms, and have never showed any symptoms? I have been researching, but still unsure where to go next with our dreams of trying to better certain chicken breeds. Thanks for all your help you all. This place has been a wealth of information for me thus far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by