Rooster cannot see!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by djcisneros, Aug 20, 2011.

1. djcisneros

djcisneros Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    My roosters crest has grown quite large and it has drooped to one side blocking his left eye. He's begun to walk sideways and I've noticed he gets pretty frustrated with it. Would I be able to trim those feathers or is it something he is just gonna have to get used to?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] If his crest is really impeding his vision, I would be tempted to trim the feathers enough that he could see

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Trim the feathers, but honestly, it is up to you. A crest flopping to one side is what happens when breeders (or usually hatcheries) care less about quality, and thus, you have a disabled bird. [​IMG] Traditionally a crested breed should not and would not have a flopped over crest, but it happens over time when you don't pay attention and is indeed genetic.

4. djcisneros

Aug 20, 2011
    thank you both! The farm I got them from said he was found on their step along with 20 other chicks so they had no idea what they were or where they came from. He's definitely a great addition to our family [​IMG]

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have to trim my polish pullet's crest regularly now in order for her to see, her "poof" is big. I don't have to trim the rooster though, although his crest is big it hangs just right so he can still see.

6. djcisneros

Aug 20, 2011
    I have another post asking his breed and general consensus is that he's a gold laced polish rooster. he's hilarious and has been walking around fine now that I trimmed it. I feel much better as well knowing he can see predators from both directions now [I was able to sneak up on him and he wouldn't know until I had a hand on him].

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by